Home Forums Apple Mac + Windows PC Windows 11 hardware requirements are wrong

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    connor

The hardware requirements for Windows 11 are well known and there are tools you can get that tell you whether your current PC can be upgraded. Also, Microsoft has a list of CPUs that can be used with Windows 11 and other requirements, like TPM 2.0, and I have seen lists of computer models that support the new OS. You can google your computer model name and probably see whether it is OK for Windows 11.

The strange thing is that Microsoft’s stated hardware requirements are wrong. If you don’t have the right CPU, TPM chip and so on, Windows 11 will refuse to install. However, many people have found that bypassing the hardware checks by changing a file or doing a simple registry hack, allows Windows 11 to install. They have discovered that it does run after all and it works quite well, even though Microsoft says it won’t.

On the one hand, Microsoft is saying that Windows 11 will not run on Computer XYZ, but people have found that if the hardware check is bypassed, it actually runs quite well.

It seems that Windows 11 runs on a lot more computers than Microsoft is saying or allowing. It makes you wonder what is going on. It’s like the hardware requirements are an arbitrarily selected soft limit and not a hard limit.

If a computer is currently running Windows 10, my guess is that it will run Windows 11 too. It’s just that Microsoft doesn’t want it to. Why? Maybe it just wants Windows 11 users to have a great experience and so has set high specification hardware requirements so that it runs really well. There won’t be any old PCs running Windows 11, even though they could. But surely that is up to me as a PC owner?

Maybe Windows 11 should have a disclaimer on installation, something like “This PC does not meet the recommended minimum hardware requirements. Proceed at your own risk.” It would be much better than flat out refusing to install. I know my PC is old and isn’t in the best shape to run a brand new version of Windows, but I would like to try. It runs Windows 10 really well, so at least let me see what 11 runs like.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Reply To: Windows 11 hardware requirements are wrong
Your information: