Home Forums Apple Mac + Windows PC Why are so many bugs in apps, iOS and macOS?

• This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 11 months ago by Ray.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Ray

Bugs and security problems are so commonplace these days that there is a new one almost every day. It happens to macOS and Mac apps, iOS and iPhone apps, Windows and PC apps. Why?

Part of the reason is that there are so many people looking for them. Companies encourage this by offering money to people that find them and the more money they offer, the harder people will look.

Many security flaws are not found by hackers or malware, but by security researchers. It is a full time job for some people because finding just one security flaw or bug could result in a 6-figure payout. Just think about it, finding just one bug a year in a popular app or OS could be enough to live on.

On the one hand, finding security flaws and bugs is a good thing because they can be removed, but on the other hand, when they become public knowledge then hackers and malware can make use of them to attack people that have not yet patched their app or OS.

I don’t know whether it is a good thing or not to offer such bug bounties. Some people say (source) that Apple is a bit mean with the rewards for finding bugs and security flaws and it does not pay anywhere near as much as other companies. People might therefore not work as hard at finding them, which could lead to unknown security issues and bugs existing in the code.

I for one am growing tired of constant updates to fix bugs and security flaws. Every day I have to update something on my phone or computer and wish they would just be fixed once and for all.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Reply To: Why are so many bugs in apps, iOS and macOS?
Your information: