Home Forums WordPress, blogging, SEO What resolution is best for photos

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    junke

I am a bit confused by the resolution setting in photos. I have a lot of photos on my travel blog and want to show them in the best possible way. What resolution should I be setting the photos to so they look the best?

I have asked some people and one said 300 dpi was best, but another said 75 dpi is ok. Who is right and what difference does it make to the photo?

#6576 Reply
    Roland Waddilove
    Keymaster

Image resolution settings are only used when printing an image on paper. It affects the quality of the print and dpi numbers around 300 dpi produce sharp looking printouts. As the resolution goes down, the printed image looks increasingly blurred. Printing at 75 dpi for example, would produce a very blurred image.

Computer screens, tablets and phones do not use the dpi resolution of an image. The setting is completely ignored and it does not make any difference to the image quality on the screen. Set it to 300 dpi or 75 dpi or anywhere between and you will not see any difference. Just ignore it.

The thing that affects the quality of an image most is the compression used. Compression is used to make the file size smaller, but it worsens the image quality.

When saving images as JPEGs or WebP (the best format), compress the image as much as possible without affecting the quality too much.

You may find it useful to save an image with two or three different compression/quality settings and then look at them afterwards to see which is the best compromise.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: What resolution is best for photos
Your information: