Home Forums General tech discussions The downside of Telegram messenger

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    tim

The announcement by WhatsApp that it will be sharing information with Facebook caused a lot of people to switch to Signal and Telegram, which saw new memberships skyrocket. Many millions of people have joined these services from WhatsApp, although with 2 billion users, losing a few million won’t affect it.

There are some things you need to know.

Although Facebook will be able to access some information, like your status, messages are end-to-end encrypted and no-one can see your chats, which remain private.

Telegram stores your messages online in the cloud and so it has access to every chat message you have ever sent. It says it won’t share them, but we only have their word for it. Remember that WhatsApp was once an independent company and then Facebook came along and bought them. What if Facebook or someone else bought Telegram? It would have access to everything you ever said to anyone. All your chats!

Is it better to have end-to-end encryption by Facebook or none by Telegram who simply promises not to access your chats? That is a difficult choice.

Signal works differently and as far as I know, it does not store or have access to your chats. Given a choice between Telegram and Signal, the latter is best for privacy, which is why Elon Musk recommended it.

#4674 Reply
    plincoln

I think I heard of Facebook pushing this message in an attempt to prevent people from leaving WhatsApp – point out that switching to Telegram actually decreases your privacy, not increases it.

Facebook owns many apps, like Facebook, Messenger, WhatsApp, Instagram, and getting rid of one, such as WhatsApp, does little to increase privacy if you still have one or more of the other apps.

If you have an iPhone, just look at the privacy information in the App Store for Facebook or Instagram, it’s the biggest list of tracking and information collection of any apps I have seen. The things they track and collect go on forever, well, it seems like it anyway.

To increase privacy, you would need to get rid of all Facebook-owned apps, then you cannot be tracked by them. If you cannot bear to get rid of Facebook and Instagram, use a web browser to access them. This limits the information they can collect about you.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: The downside of Telegram messenger
Your information: