Home Forums WordPress, blogging, SEO Support for IE 11 to be dropped in WordPress

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    tim

There has been discussions between WordPress developers about dropping support for Internet Explorer 11 in the next WordPress update, version 5.8. If it does not happen in this version then it almost certainly will in the one after.

It is hard to imagine anyone still using that browser, but apparently, a few still do. The percentage of IE 11 users is about 1% but when there are a couple of billion people on the internet, 1% is a lot of people.

I won’t lose any sleep over dropping support for it. Get a proper browser! Internet Explorer 11 is seriously outdated and anyone that uses it must struggle to access many modern websites. If they have not already noticed, the web requires a modern browser.

Talking of browsers, do you test your WordPress site in multiple browsers? Which ones? I have Chrome, Edge and Opera. Occasionally I use Firefox too. It is rare, but sometimes you do get something that doesn’t work with one, but works with the others. It’s good to check your blog or website with multiple browsers.

#4780 Reply
    janine
    Participant

The problem is that there are people and companies running very old versions of Windows. Windows 7 is still very popular in businesses and it has IE11. Employees may not be allowed to install anything on their computer and might be stuck with the browser.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Reply #4780 in Support for IE 11 to be dropped in WordPress
Your information: