Home Forums General tech discussions Smart sunglasses and other wearables

• This topic has 2 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 9 months ago by lmduser.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    kornerpop

I saw your smart sunglasses article and found it interesting. However, I’m not convinced that they would be better than a good pair of sunglasses and wireless earphones. I have an Android phone, so haven’t tried Apple AirPods, but everyone says how good the audio quality is. One thing about in-ear earphones is that they cut out the outside noise. Sunglasses with speakers would not. Would they be useful in noisy situations, like trains, buses and so on?

#5374 Reply

A good pair of  sunglasses plus AirPods are better than the MusicMan Sound Glasses, but Apple AirPods alone cost more than three times the price of the MusicMan Sound Glasses. Yes, you can get more features and better sound if you have the money.

There is nothing in your ear when wearing the MusicMan Sound Glasses, so there is nothing to prevent you from hearing outside sounds. However, you would not wear sunglasses on a train or bus, subway, airplane and other noisy places. They are intended for use outdoors, particularly for walking, running, mountain biking, hiking, rock climbing and similar activities where there would not be a lot of noise anyway.

There are some situations where smart sunglasses are preferable to earphones and ordinary sunglasses, but other situations where they are not.

#5557 Reply
    lmduser

Will smart glasses ever take off? Facebook has launched its own smartglasses and it has immediately run into problems. The problem is that they record audio and video, so anyone wearing sunglasses is potentially recording everything around them.

What is more natural than wearing sunglasses when you are at the beach? Surreptitiously recording the bikini-clad ladies there without their knowledge would be easy with Facebook’s smart sunglasses. I could think of worse situations and that one is just the tip of the iceberg.

Video and audio recording of everything around you is an invasion of privacy for everyone else at best and it could be creepy or even illegal depending on the situation. I won’t even list them, but I’m sure you could imagine them. There is just so much wrong with these glasses.

Although I am dead against them and think they are not for public use, I can imagine certain situations where they could be useful, such as security staff outdoors, perhaps in a building (with clear lenses), store, shopping mall or other place where video surveillance takes place anyway to deter thieves and other security issues. Such places have signs up saying that you are being monitored or recorded anyway. You could also use them to create training videos too.

Facebook smartglasses and similar devices have uses, but they will also be misused in so many ways that it makes you question whether they should be on sale to the public.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Reply #5557 in Smart sunglasses and other wearables
Your information: