Home Forums General tech discussions Parler, the free speech Twitter alternative has gone

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Roland Waddilove
    Keymaster

Parler has gone so fast it was a blur. Here one day and gone the next. You wouldn’t believe a social network could be destroyed so fast. The app is no longer available in the Google Play Store and Apple App Store. Even the website was taken down by Amazon where it was hosted. Even if you already had the app, it has stopped working and shows no content, just a white screen.

Parler’s owner says many companies have stopped working with it and it is hard to see how it can come back from this. It is not impossible, but it will be difficult.

Parler was an alternative to Twitter and it was growing fast, mainly because of people being frustrated by Twitter and Facebook rules. It tended to attract the people that had been banned elsewhere and I even saw people on there that boasted about how many services they had been banned from.

Could it happen to other alternative social networks like MeWe, Tsu and others? Could they be taken down? Yes they could, if they allowed the things that Parler allowed. It is a wake-up call for free speech platforms and no doubt we will see some rule-tightening and less free speech on the ones that remain. No-one wants their growing social network to end up closed down like Parler.

I wasn’t a huge fan of Parler because it was very political and had a huge Trump following. I am not American, I don’t live there, I don’t engage in its politics. I was on Parler because it is useful to keep an eye on up-coming social networks that are growing fast. You never know what the next big thing will be. Looks like it won’t be Parler, but you never know and it may reappear at some point in the future. If it does, it probably won’t be like the old Parler, which is probably a good thing.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Reply To: Parler, the free speech Twitter alternative has gone
Your information: