Home Forums WordPress, blogging, SEO New GTMetrix speed test: Is your web site slow?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    kev93

GTMetrix is one of the most popular online tools for measuring the speed of your website (but do remember to check your popular posts and not just the home page.

It has recently had a major update and this means that your old speed scores no longer apply. GTMetrix says that the old tests used old methods and occasionally, in some cases, they were not right anyway and didn’t reflect real world usage.

The new GTMetrix score is based on Google Lighthouse performance, which measures things in a different, and hopefully, more realistic way. Lighthouse looks at things like the time to first paint, time to largest content paint, such as the largest image on the page, and so on.

The new test is based on a Google test and so it should show more accurately what Google thinks of your website performance, which in turn affects your search ranking.

Read this GTMetrix blog post explaining the new test and scores, then check your site speed again. Is it higher or lower?

#4407 Reply
    paulhods

My GTMetrix score has gone right down. It’s pretty bad at Grade E – 36%. The biggest problem seems to be the time to first byte, which is an awkward one to fix and it is nearly 50% of the total time to load the page.

It’s not like I can suddenly make the server faster, well, not without paying for a server upgrade. Maybe I need to switch web hosts. It is such a hassle though. I have Autoptimize plugin, but probably need a cache of some sort.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: New GTMetrix speed test: Is your web site slow?
Your information: