Home Forums WordPress, blogging, SEO My website got deleted!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Sarah-J

I had a website on wordpress.com and it got deleted! I had been building it and adding posts for months and now it is all gone. It is gut-wrenching. All that work lost.

I am not out of the game though and I intend to rebuild my site elsewhere. Where can I build a site that will not get deleted?

#5177 Reply
    Roland Waddilove
    Keymaster

A website must be hosted somewhere by someone and whoever that is will have rules, terms and conditions that you must abide by. Break them and your website can be taken down.

It may not be your fault and your website could be the victim of hacking or it could become infected with malware. It happens. The web hosting company may then take your site offline until you have fixed the problem.

There may also be rules about the type of content that is allowed on sites by the web hosting company and some types of free speech or adult content may get you banned. It varies slightly with web hosts and some allow more than others.

You must check with a web hosting company’s terms and conditions before signing up. Generally speaking, simpler and cheaper hosting, like WordPress.com, Wix, Squarespace, Weebly and others, have more restrictive rules than elsewhere. Web hosts that simply provide space and expect you to install and maintain a content management system yourself usually have fewer rules.

You can easily see the difference by comparing WordPress.com and self-hosted WordPress. There are many things you cannot do on WordPress.com that are fine with self hosted, which triggers many people to switch from one to the other. There are still rules, but you have more freedom to post what you want with self-hosted.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: My website got deleted!
Your information: