Home Forums General tech discussions Is Apple making an electric car?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    LawrenceR

A few years ago there were lots of rumors that Apple was developing an electric car, something to rival Elon Musk’s Tesla. Nothing came of it and I also heard rumors that Apple had laid off a lot of people working on the electric car project.

Now the rumor mill has started up again and the electric car is just over a year away – 2022 apparently. Is this real or not? Is it just wishful thinking by Apple fans or is there really a car coming from Apple?

There is a huge difference between an iPhone or Mac and a car. You can’t just get some factory in China to make them and ship them over. Cars are big and bulky and you need big factories. I don’t see this happening.

#4528 Reply
    tim

The rumors persist and if anything they are growing. One website reports it and then another and another. However, I don’t see anything new or concrete facts, just people reporting that there is a rumor they overheard someone talking about. Most stories are just reporting the rumor,

Apple is very secretive and it could even be announced as the ‘One more thing’ like they do. Who knows? Only Apple and Apple isn’t saying.

I can’t imagine Apple being a car manufacturer or even wanting to design a whole car. My guess is they will just do the electronics – battery, entertainment/information system, maybe even driverless AI tech. A whole car? No. They’ll outsource it to someone else.

Mind you, I read that Elon Musk is now the richest person on the planet, mostly because of the rise of Tesla shares, although he does have plenty of other things, like SpaceX, which help.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Is Apple making an electric car?
Your information: