Home Forums WordPress, blogging, SEO Do you need to put tags in WordPress posts?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    leiloo

I was reading a post in a group online that said that you should not use tags in WordPress because Google does not like it. I have been adding tags to my posts and wonder if I should remove them. Will it cause any problems if I just delete them? Why would Google not like them? Doesn’t Google need tags to tell it what the article is about?

#4781 Reply
    janine
    Participant

Deleting tags does not delete any posts or pages and removing them will do no harm at all. However, they can be useful and it is not true that Google does not like them. Google does not need tags to tell it what an article is about.

A tag in WordPress is simply a label and is a search aid that helps to find posts. Suppose you had a travel blog, you could add a ‘us’ tag to posts about trips in the US and an ‘eu’ tag on posts about Europe. You could add tags for each country you post about in your travel blog.

The purpose of the tag is to enable readers to find related articles. Clicking a tag at the top of bottom of an article (different themes show them in different places), lists all posts with that tag. So clicking the ‘us’ tag would show all posts about trips in the US on your travel blog. It is a very useful feature.

The only problem with them is that you could end up with duplicate content and this is probably why you saw a comment saying that Google does not like them. I haven’t seen it and haven’t had a problem, but check that you don’t get the tag in a URL, like yoursite.com/mytag/a-blog-post. It could be an alternative link to yoursite.com/a-blog-post – same post, two URLs.

I am not sure this happens these days, but I’m sure I saw it a few years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Do you need to put tags in WordPress posts?
Your information: