Home Forums Apple Mac + Windows PC Clean up to free up disk space after a major Windows update

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    jasonw89

Twice a year we have a big Windows update. It should come in April and September, but for me it is more like July and November. Anyway, gigabytes of files are downloaded to the computer, gigabytes are backed up and gigabytes are written. That means there are lots of junk or at least unnecessary files lying around on the disk afterwards.

Clean up to free up gigabytes of space!

There has been a Disk Clean-up app in Windows for as long as I can remember, but Microsoft has spent the last few years moving things into the Settings app, so now you can clean up from there too.

Open the Settings app and in the System section, select Storage in the sidebar menu. Click Temporary files and the disk is scanned for junk, temporary files, unnecessary files, old updates and so on.

Tick all the options to remove everything, except maybe Downloads and Recycle Bin if you want to keep them, and then click Remove Files at the top. I got a lot of free space back after doing this.

#4114 Reply

If you are tempted to use Ccleaner to clean up your Windows PC’s disk, think carefully before doing so. Microsoft is flagging this as a PUP (potentially unwanted program). That does not mean it is malware, but it is not exactly a a clean bill of health either. Caution is needed.

Here are some key attributes of PUPs according to Microsoft:

• Display exaggerated claims about your device’s health.
    • Make misleading or inaccurate claims about files, registry entries, or other items on your device.
    • Display claims in an alarming manner about your device’s health and require payment or certain actions in exchange for fixing the purported issues.

There may be other reasons why Microsoft is classifying Ccleaner as a PUP.

I rarely use clean-up utilities and this is partly because if you are not very knowledgeable or if you don’t have the time to go through everything that a utility wants to delete, you risk it deleting something that is useful to you or Windows, or breaking some feature.

If you are an expert user with good knowledge of Windows, settings and the registry, then Ccleaner is OK. It is a power tool and if you don’t know what you are doing, I would stick to Windows built in clean-up tools.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Clean up to free up disk space after a major Windows update
Your information: