Home Forums Apple Mac + Windows PC Can’t share files over network

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    gary

I have been trying for so long to get two computers to connect to each other so I can share files and folders. One is running Windows 7 and the other is running Windows 10. No matter what I do, and I think I have tried everything, I just cannot get it to work.

The thing is, I used to do this at work years ago with older versions of Windows. We could share a folder on the network and several computers could access it. These days we seem to have gone backward and networking is harder than ever.

Can you suggest anything to get local networking actually working? Maybe it is just me, I don’t know.

#5021 Reply
    Roland Waddilove
    Keymaster

I think it is easier to connect computers and get file and folder sharing working if the operating system is the same on them all. When different versions of Windows are mixed, then problems can arise.

It depends what you want to do with networked computers and it may not be necessary in your situation. Instead of trying to connect computers over a network, you could use online storage like Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive, Google Drive, Box and others.

If you use multiple computers yourself, you can add one or more of these and your files and folders are automatically synced between them. Put a file on one computer and it appears on them all. You can even access your files from phones and tablets.

If the computers are used by different people, a shared folder can be created. Each of the storage options listed are able to create one or more shared folders that you can invite people to access. Any files placed in the shared folder can be accessed by the people you invite. This is great for working with files that everyone needs to access.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Can’t share files over network
Your information: