Home Forums Apple Mac + Windows PC Can you run Windows 11 on an Apple Mac?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    karl98

I currently use an Apple Mac and a Windows PC. It is an old PC and it cannot run Windows 11. I could replace it when Windows 11 comes out, but I want to cut down on the computers I have – I would have three then, my Mac, an old Win 10 PC and a new Win 11 PC. I’d probably keep the old PC as a backup.

If I could run Windows 11 on a Mac, I could use that for Mac and PC apps, and keep my old Win 10 PC as a backup – no extra hardware costs.

I have not seen any way to run Windows 11 on a Mac though, at least not my M1 Mac. Do you think it will eventually come to the Mac or is the lack of a TPM 2.o chip a definite no?

#5352 Reply
    Roland Waddilove
    Keymaster

In the last day or two, Parallels Desktop 17 has been released and it says that it is ready for macOS Monterey and Windows 11. Neither has been released yet, but if the company delivers on its promises it certainly looks like you will be able to upgrade macOS on your M1 Mac to Monterey and install Windows 11 in a virtual machine.

Windows 11 will be able to run in a window on the Mac desktop or full screen like a regular PC, a bit like Boot Camp, but without having to reboot.

The only thing is, both macOS Monterey and Windows 11 need 8 GB of RAM each to work best. You may be able to install Windows 11 on a Mac with 8 GB RAM, but then both macOS and Windows will have a maximum of 4 GB each and neither will run well. In fact, they will probably run quite poorly with so little memory available.

M1 Macs do have better memory management than Intel Macs, but even so,  I would not recommend an 8 GB M1 Mac for running macOS Monterey and Windows 11. It is likely to struggle once you have a few apps running. A 16 GB M1 Mac is not just recommended, it is pretty much required, I would say. You need to be able to allocate at least 6 GB and preferably 8 GB to the Windows 11 virtual machine.

Does your M1 Mac have 16 GB? It cannot be upgraded, so you are pretty much stuck with it. If it is an 8 GB model, it may be worth selling it and getting a 16 GB model. It does mean buying new hardware, but you should get a good price when selling your current Mac to offset the price of a new one.

#5375 Reply
    Roland Waddilove
    Keymaster

Update: You can only run ARM editions of operating systems on M1 Macs. There is an ARM version of Windows 10 and there is likely to be one for Windows 11. However, it is not regular Intel-powered Windows and it is not compatible with all Intel Windows software. Some things work and some won’t. It’s a bit complicated and hard to understand at the moment.

Windows 11 should have no problems on an Intel Mac with Parallels Desktop, but M1 Macs are a bit iffy at the moment.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Can you run Windows 11 on an Apple Mac?
Your information: